This week I had the unique experience of telling my story to a group of women at my aunt's church. It was both an honor and something I felt incredibly unqualified for. Thank goodness God is a great distiller, and hopefully he sifted all the chaff from what I said so people walked away remembering something meaningful.
A question came up about what I've read that had an impact on me and, of course, I blanked. So, for the last day and a half I have been mulling over this question and here's what I've come up with. In addition to everything I've ever read by William Shakespeare, William Faulkner, Flannery O'Conner and C.S. Lewis, these are the books that have inspired, changed and never left me (in no particular order):
:: Teaching a Stone to Talk by Annie Dillard
:: Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
:: Telling Secrets by Frederick Buechner
:: Expecting Adam by Martha Beck
:: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
:: Sinners Welcome by Mary Karr
:: The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
:: Amazing Grace by Kathleen Norris
:: The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
:: The Gold Cell by Sharon Olds
:: Walking on Water by Madeline L'Engle
:: Paula by Isabel Allende
:: Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
:: A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
:: The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
:: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver
:: A Room with a View by E.M. Forester
The list is heavy on recent titles because even after 36 hours of serious pondering, my memory is sorely lacking. What's on your list?
Wednesday, April 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
How neat Amy you spoke of your life to others at a church! Too bad you can't give more of a glimpse more here...
A Severe Mercy is on my list too. Someone long ago, when I went on a mission trip told me about this book, and I remember running to library and reading it down. Thanks for sharing this useful list of what has impacted you.
Here's a find: Hazard by Gardiner Harris. A NYTimes correspondent who was a coalfield reporter for the Louisville Courier Journal, which has given him the credibility and insight to write a novel about a fatal coal mine disaster. Don't read it only for its topical interest, but also for his first-rate character development and many subtle biblical allusions. Full disclosure, Gardiner is the son of a dear friend, T George Harris, who is himself a journalist of note.
Post a Comment