Friday, February 29, 2008

hello, gorgeous

My son is checking himself out. I don't know if it's because he sees me watching him or because he's almost four and old enough to feel slightly embarrassed about his behavior, but he's definitely being sly about the posing. He spins, then stops, cocks his head and his hip, glances over his shoulder to view his backside. Then, he quickly releases the pose, shreds his imaginary guitar and falls on the floor. He jumps up, spins again, points his toe and gazes down his arm with an oddly self-conscious half smile. Again, he quickly releases the pose and does some tae kwon do punches. He's in love with his outfit. Weirdly enough, it has to be the ugliest thing in his closet -- a teal and powder blue tie-dyed, screen-printed soccer ball shirt and matching capri-length, elastic-waistband shorts that are also tie dyed in the same awful shades of blue.

The shorts set, plucked from a bag of hand-me-downs a cousin kindly sent our way, was headed for Salvation Army when Liam spied it in the donation pile and immediately began disrobing.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm wearing that," he said.

"No, honey, it's the middle of winter and that's a summer outfit," I said. "Plus, it's ugly."

Aghast, he grabed the outfit and clutched it to his chest. "No, it's not," he cried. "It's cool, mom, and I want to wear it right now."

"Fine, be my guest."

I figured the crush would wear off quickly. He's a boy, afterall. Boys aren't interested in clothes. But nearly every day, Liam disappears into his closet and comes out in an outfit of his choosing. Most days, it's the tie dye or an Ireland soccer jersey that's two sizes too big or the halloween pajamas that are two sizes too small. I tell him, "Fine, for an hour you can wear that, BUT we are changing into an outfit I pick before you go to school or see any human outside this house."

My mom says, store the summer stuff and the clothes that don't fit. Out of sight, out of mind. She's probably right, but I can never remember or find the energy to do it. Plus, he'll just fall in love with something equally bizarre or hideous.

For instance, one day a bag of cast-offs arrived for Elliott and before I knew it Liam had pillaged a pair of 6-12 month jeans out of the bag, slipped them on and snapped and zipped them! They came to his knees but actually fit pretty well otherwise. He insisted on wearing them the rest of the day. We had no plans. Who was I to rain on his parade?

My husband gives me a hard time. Who made you the fashion police? He doesn't even have to say it. I know what he's thinking. The kid is three. He's experimenting. He's having fun. He actually has his own opinions and preferences. And, when he's in teal and powder blue tie dye, he thinks he's a rock star. He bursts into the room with a full-on grin, spinning and swaggering and posing.

I might not think much of the outfit, but you're looking good, Liam. Looking good.

2 comments:

E.A.W. said...

amy, can this be a part of the book you're writing? no, seriously. you need to write a book.
And just a thought - sometimes having a mother who's a member of the fashion police can help with one's reputation. many a child will look back at photos of their youth and wonder why on earth their mothers let them dress that way...

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

thanks for the encouragement, liz. hopefully the blue tie dye will never be captured on film!