Saturday, February 9, 2008

one for the packsack


Poetry is just a packsack of invisible keepsakes. -Carl Sandburg

It all started with a cry. I was doing my million things at the same time when Elliott, who had been playing contentedly on my lap, yowled. With a quick turn of my head, I saw that Liam was stamping Elliott's hand with his Halloween ink stamps. Five black "Boo" stamps covered Elliott's sweet tiny hand. In my sternest, don't-mess-with me tone, I yelled, "Liam, we don't stamp the baby!" Stamp the baby? Did I really say that? After a good laugh (much to Liam's relief), I decided it was time to get these moments down somewhere because they won't come again, and in my sleep-deprived state, they won't be remembered tomorrow.

So, today seems as good a day as any to start this blog. Actually, it is a very good day as my favorite little sister left us today pulling a trailer with all her worldly possesions to a new job in Washington DC. (We miss you already, aunt Liz.) Check back here often and I'll throw you little pieces of our poetry...hilarious, profound, mundane or bizarre as they may be. Maybe some original free verse, recipes and artwork, too. Makes 6 a.m. tomorrow seem not so bad. Although, with these two cuties -- mad stamper and sad stampee -- how could it ever be bad?

2 comments:

E.A.W. said...

I miss you already Aim and Andrew and Liam and Elliott... Tim has flown home. I'm in my new DC apartment. And the wind is whipping around Capitol Hill. Please keep blogging - keep us all in the loop.

Matthew Johnson said...

Nuts ... another blog I have to read :)

I laughed heartily upon reading "We don't stamp the baby." It reminded me of that South Park episode where they were kicking around Kyle's (?) brother. "Kick the baby" they would say to which the baby would respond in his innocent little voice "Don't kick the baby."

I'm going to make a list of "Do Not's" today just because of this to see if anything is as funny as "Don't stamp the baby."