Sunday, February 10, 2008

old friends and new


Lately Liam has been cutting little bits of paper and drawing people on them. Today he was carrying these pieces around and I asked him who they were.

Liam (pointing to the "girl" on the left): That's my new friend, Lisa.
Me: Who are the other two?
Liam: Oh, that's Matt and Banjo. They died.

Matt and Banjo have been constant, albeit invisible, companions of Liam's for months (along with Simmy, Corny and Sour -- all his original creations) so I was a little taken aback.

Me: Really, why did they die?
Liam: Because, mom, they're old. They're my old friends. I only have new friends now.
Me: So are Matt and Banjo gone for good?
Liam: No, they're coming back. They'll be back for Halloween.

No surprise there. Every day Liam asks if it is Halloween yet. He is dying to be a mummy. (No pun intended.) Last week he asked me, "Mom, are you excited for Christmas." I said, in my best June Cleaver, "Why, yes, honey, it'll be nice to celebrate christmas again." Nonchalantly he shot back, "Not me. I just like Halloween." Costumes, candy, staying up late to run around the neighborhood. What's not to like?

3 comments:

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

Amy, I like it already! Just don't stop emailing me...

M Dub said...

I personally think Banjo and Matt are classic cohorts...Matt the hero and Banjo the sidekick. He would be remiss to retire them. Simmy, Corny and Sour sound like names of the modern seven dwarfs. Has he been watching this movie? Lisa is a little disappointing for me. Lisa? Why don't we call the next guy Jon? or maybe imaginary guy? Too much Simpsons probably. Liam, lets get back to the quality names like Banjo. But let me know if Banjo is gone for good, because Jamie and I might name one of our kids that someday.

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

mark,
I will pay you $10 if you and Jamie name one of your kids Banjo. btw, I read your comment to Liam and he scowled and said, "Uncle Mark is a goofball."
-amy