
After polishing off a couple boxes of Girl Scout cookies last night (already partially eaten, in my defense) and pacifying a feverish preschooler all day, I needed a nutritious and delicious dinner that didn't take a lot of effort. Crustless quiche is a dinner staple in our house because it's easy and I can make it with just about any veggies or leftovers in the fridge. Tonight I used fresh spinach, onion and cheese and it was great. I don't measure anything, so here's my best guess at the recipe:
Saute one sliced onion in a little olive oil. Add a dash of salt and a couple handfuls of chopped fresh spinach. Toss a couple times and turn off heat. Before spinach is totally wilted, spoon mixture into a pie pan. (I spray the pan with cooking spray first.) In a bowl, whisk 5 eggs, 1/4 cup milk, kosher salt, pepper and some kind of cheese. (I used Fontina tonight but would have tossed in goat cheese if Andrew liked it!) Pour the egg mixture into the pan over the spinach. Sprinkle on parmesan and (vegetarians ignore this part) crumbled bacon. Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes. Tonight we ate it drizzled with marinara sauce.
To make the meal even healthier and more delicious, serve with roasted carrots. (I could eat these every night!) Peel and chop a bag of carrots into 1-inch chunks and toss with olive oil on a foil-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle pretty generously with kosher salt (the kosher part makes all the difference, thank you, Barefoot Contessa) and bake at 375 degrees at the same time as the quiche. (I like the carrots well cooked and start them about 10 minutes before I put in the quiche.)
Of course, then, since you've eaten so well (especially if you add a nice green salad like we did), you'll deserve a few Girl Scout cookies. Maybe just half a box.

1 comment:
get in your car and drive any leftovers down here - now! love the bowl, too
Post a Comment