Sunday, July 13, 2008

mommy porn

Last week my sister sent me a link to blogger Penelope Trunk's post on mommy porn. In this insightful (I think) post, Penelope rages against the ways mainstream media shows us all the beautiful people to make us think that every woman should be parenting gracefully while working full time. A few days later, I received a new magazine in the mail called Cookie. After reading the article featuring actress Amanda Peet, I am now a believer that mommy porn is out of control. In the article, Amanda shares her very strong (i.e., obnoxious) views on vaccinations, viciously defending her decision to vaccinate her daughter Frankie, to the point of calling parents who don't vaccinate "parasites." I chose to vaccinate my kids as well, but it hasn't been without some fear and trepidation, and I respect the decision of friends I know who haven't gone that route. But the kicker here is that this does not appear to be some thoughtful, well-educated, mother-next-door spouting such drivel, it is the picture-perfect ubermom and her cherubic sweetheart centerfolded in ridiculously expensive outfits: $1,800 gold bracelets, $2,975 Rolex, $390 cashmere sweater and $195 jeans. Come on. Get real. Gag me. But that's porn for ya. View the photos and read the article at your own risk.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

fabulous post. thanks for the link - the article is excellent - so honest. i myself am drawn in to the comparisons and my own inadequacies. looks like you are having a great time at the lake