Tuesday, April 6, 2010

mom's new blankie



This weekend I sewed up my patchwork sweater blanket and it's already been hijacked. Who can blame him? It's soft and cuddly and just right for cool mornings on the sun porch.

Most of the sweaters were collected at Good Will and rummage sales. A couple were mine, nibbled on by moths, but too special to toss. All of them were washed and cut into 12" squares. It was so rewarding - and quick - to put this blanket together. For anyone wanting to try this, here are a couple of things I learned while doing:

:: All sweaters have a right side and a wrong side. One square accidentally was sewn on wrong side out. Although, I'll probably be the only one who ever notices.

:: Choose sweaters that have at least some wool or cashmere in them.

:: When sewing a seam, put the shorter square on top so you can stretch it a little to match the longer square. (Technically all squares should be equal, but my measuring was kind of lax, I guess.) All sides being equal, sew the seam with the stretchier sweater fabric on the bottom.

:: Sew squares into rows. Then, when sewing rows together, align and pin the cross seams so they will match up.

I'm still not sure how to back this blanket. Any suggestions? In the meantime, we'll just be enjoying it without one.

2 comments:

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

Did you use a regular straight stitch or something different?

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

regular straight stitch