Wednesday, April 7, 2010

some things I learned today


:: Naturally dyed Easter eggs are almost too beautiful to eat. Unless you turn them into deviled eggs. Then it's hard not to eat them all.

:: Taking 20 minutes to sweep and wash the floors is time well spent. As is putting away the laundry immediately after folding it and not leaving the dishes on the counter after dinner. For the first time in a long time, my house looks kind of clean.

:: Having laryngitis makes me a kinder, more patient mom. I did not yell or raise my voice once today. I couldn't. But Liam listened when I whispered. It was weird, and eye opening.

:: Shredded wheat bars are the perfect tea time treat. I would like to have one every day. And now it's your lucky day, because here's the recipe.

Shredded Wheat Bars

1 stick butter
1/3 c brown sugar
1/4 c honey
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 c peanuts
1 c raisins
1 c chocolate chips
9 shredded wheat biscuits

Melt butter. Mix in sugar and honey and egg. In separate bowl, crush shredded wheat biscuits well (I use my hands) and stir in the butter mixture. Mix until well coated. Stir in peanuts (best if roughly chopped), raisins and chips. Press into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

::

This is the only sweet dessert I remember my grandma making. My cousins and I would be hoping for them whenever we visited. I never got the recipe from her because I figured they just wouldn't be the same if I made them. Luckily, in her recipe box, I found a list of ingredients and deduced the directions. They taste as wonderful as I remember. If you have homemade applesauce to eat with them, you will be especially happy. Enjoy!

2 comments:

dbirkey said...

Yea! And now I have the recipe, too. I have the box of shredded wheat left in Mom/Gaye's oven so it will be especially "sweet" to make them. Thanks, Amy!

Chrissy said...

I need to tackle my floors soon too. I enjoy a clean house also although mine rarely is - that is why I like having people over because it motivates me to clean!

Thanks for the recipe. I am going to have to make those soon.

As for the sweater Malia was wearing, my mom didn't make it although I am sure she could have because she is pretty talented that way. It is actually from Gap but I got it at a garage sale last summer for a couple of bucks. I love it too.