I have a special aunt around whom I spent much of my single life, and she (mother of 4) is a bread maker. It seemed like whenever I walked into her house, she had loaves cooling on the counter, that warm, yeasty smell filling the air. Yet I assumed bread baking was time consuming and difficult. But now I'm the one with loaves cooling on the counter. I've been adapting my friend Catherine's flax seed roll recipe -- today I replaced the cup of flax seeds with a cup of oat bran and made two great loaves.
When Liam and I enjoyed a warm slice with butter and honey before he went to bed, he looked at me with the biggest smile and said, "Wow, mom, you're a really good cooker girl." Well, buddy, considering that strawberry-rhubarb jam you made last week, I'd say we're pretty much neck and neck. Breakfast tomorrow should be stellar.
Monday, July 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Mmmmmm . . . I can smell the bread! Just wish you were close enough so I could stop by and have a bite! Being a really good cooker girl for the people you love is the best, don't you agree?
I agree. I learned from the best, special aunt!
Post a Comment