Wednesday, September 3, 2008

homemade granola

I don't know if it's the start of the school year, the cooler weather kicking in or the fact that Liam ate the Trader Joe's version of a Fig Newton for breakfast, but it's time for some hearty whole grains and honey in this house. I am such a fan of this recipe. Not only because it tastes awesome and is packed with nutrition but because when it's baking, it smells incredible.

Homemade Granola

2 cups rolled oats
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
3/4 cup slivered or sliced blanched almonds
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
2 T ground flaxseed
1 T flax seed oil (optional)

Toss together oats, coconut and almonds. In small bowl, whisk together oil and honey; stir into the oat mixture. Spread out on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 17 to 20 minutes until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes; stir in flaxseed oil (if using). Let cool completely. Transfer to large bowl and mix in the rest of the ingredients. Great on yogurt, in milk or by the handful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm taking your fall bait and making this today. I am excited to have a new healthy snack in the house... hopefully the small ones will agree!

Thanks for sharing!

amy wolgemuth bordoni said...

This morning Liam made a "banana split" with it (by himself) - vanilla yogurt, sliced banana, granola, chocolate syrup and a blueberry on top! Enjoy.