Recently I packed my CD collection into a storage bin and it is sitting on the family room floor waiting for a home. A couple days ago Liam started pulling CDs out of the bin, asking about each, "Is this rock and roll?" I knew he was looking for the kind of music his dad likes (loud with heavy guitars). I think the closest thing in my collection is old U2 and the Freddy Jones Band. In other words, nothing even close.
Liam and Andrew share the same taste in music. I was convinced it was programming, since he was exposed to Andrew's music at such an early age and in long such bouts, like during a cross country driving trip at five weeks old. But I can't deny that his being drawn to "dad's" music - including dad's actual music - seems to be a genuine passion and a whole body embrace. I have been pretty sure, though, that Elliott would be different.
Elliott seems to enjoy all music equally. He doesn't respond differently to the type of music; he bobs and grooves, whether it's classical, worship, pop or metal. But last night he suddenly showed a whole new side to his musical sensibilities. He became excited (dare I say thrilled and giddy), clapping and laughing and head banging. No, not to Allison Krause or James Taylor but to AC/DC. I know I shouldn't be surprised, but can't I get one folk lover in the family? I am miserably outnumbered. Car trips will forever be metal. Mark and Jamie, I'm riding with you.
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment