Wednesday, September 10, 2008

think I'll go to africa

When I was growing up, this was the common refrain from my stepmom (or some version of it) to let us kids (especially my youngest brother and sister) know that she had reached her limit. Nearly everyday, it seemed, she was going to Africa. Well, tomorrow Gigi is finally going to be true to her word and - brave woman - will be accompanying my dad to Africa for three weeks! They will visit numerous countries for meetings, ministry and a bit of sightseeing.

Last night when I put Liam to bed I added Papa and Gigi's Africa trip to our prayers. Liam interrupted to ask, "Africa? But where will Papa and Gigi sleep?"

"In a bed I suppose."

"Like a grass mat?" Liam wondered.

"Um, no, like a bed."

"But, where?" he asked again.

"Well," I pondered, "Maybe a hotel some nights; maybe someone's house; and maybe even a tent."

"What?" he laughed. "They can't sleep in a tent. They're too big!"

He was clearly imagining a version of the small pup tent he has set up in his room.

"There are some really big tents. Some of them even have beds in them," I said

Liam laughed and popped up on one elbow to get a good look at me. Then he shook his head and flopped back on his pillow.

"Mom," he said, "You are joking me. That is the craziest thing I ever heard. There are no tent beds in Africa."

I just received Papa and Gigi's itinerary. Tent beds? No. Adventure? Yes. I think Gigi is still a little dumbstruck that she is actually going to Africa after all the years of saying it. So, be careful what you threaten. It's a long way to the moon.

No comments: